Week 7 Story: The Beginning of Baahubali


The Beginning of Baahubali

In the ancient kingdom of Mahishmati, an injured woman is escaping out from a cave at the bottom of a waterfall mountain, and is carrying an infant with her. She fights for her and the baby's life killing two soldiers after her. As she is trying to leave, she slips into a rapid raging river and is pulled by the current. She knows she will not make it and prays to Lord Shiva, the great god, that the baby, Baahubali, must live. She holds the baby up above the surface of the water as she drowns and soon after the people of the local Amburi tribe rescue him. The wife of the tribe's chieftain, Sanga, takes him in and adopts him. She renames him Shivu, and he grows up to become strong, ambitious, and mischievous, always wanting to ascend the mountain.



Author's Note: This story is based off and inspired by Baahubali: The Beginning, an Indian action film. The Mahabharata I read heavily mirrored parts of the plot from the movie, and so I thought to retell this short segment of the story through the lens of the Baahubali: The Beginning film. Both of the stories are parallel in that a woman sent a baby down a river. In both stories the babies are rescued and adopted by a nice couple who raises them to grow into a strong young man. The difference in the story is that in the Mahabharata, the woman is the baby's mother and sends him down a river in a basket. In the movie, the woman who flees away from danger trying to save Baahubali is his father's foster mother. She saves him by praying to Lord Shiva and holding the baby up and keeping him from drowning even after she dies. 

The movie is most likely inspired and based off of Indian epics such as the Mahabharata. I thought it would be fun to retell the story and compare similarities and differences between the two.

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed reading the title of your story – “The Beginning of Baahubali”. I have seen the movie and enjoyed that you have written you story based off the movie! I like that you wrote a short and sweet story that captures a lot of the moments that did happen in the Mahabharata! The women is seen taking care of the baby and raising him! Really well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kaelan! I love the title of your story! Super interesting!! I personally haven’t seen the movie but I enjoyed reading your story and I like how your were creative and based it off a movie! Even though I haven’t seen the movie your story made sense to me. I love how you kept the story short and sweet but it didn’t lack any details! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kaelan! I really enjoyed your story and how it re-told narratives from both the Mahabharata and the movie Baahubali: The Beginning. I haven’t watched the movie, but your story was really interesting and makes me want to watch the whole film. The parallel between your story and the Mahabharata is also interesting, as both stories involve a baby surviving a perilous journey in a river.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts