Storylab Microfiction

 Microfiction

100-word Story: Tension

Anxiety consumes me as I am surrounded by the roaring noise from the crowd. Looking out into the faraway distance of the water, I close my eyes and breathe. I visualize every calculated moment and movement I make when I hit the water. I climb on the block, wait for the sound of the whistle, and dive into the cold water. As I glide under the water, there is a sense of calmness and the uneasiness fades away. Adrenaline takes over my body as I reach the surface. Suddenly I am in control racing with every fiber of my being.

6-word Story: Nervousness

My heart beats out of my chest.

Author's Note: The 100-word and 6-word story brings insight into my mind during swim meets. I tend to feel a lot of tension internally for things in life. An example of the most intense-anxious filled moments happen when I compete, so I wanted to encapsulate the feelings I go through. More specifically, I wanted to describe the feelings I deal with before hitting the water: the anxiety, the shakiness, and how it all fades away when I dive into water. A lot can happen in a short amount of time, seconds even.

Comments

  1. Hey Kaelan, I liked the layout of this story. The tension section is really captured because there is a lot of description that show what the environment is like. Then the simple 6 word story can capture the nervousness everyone feels by a simple phrase. Everyone knows what it is like when their heart is beating out of their chest and it could not have been said any better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kaelan, I think that your 100-word -story is very interesting. I can relate to that story really well because I get that competition's vibe from it. I miss being in competition mode. The adrenaline is crazy flow through our body and we have no control over it. It is all a mental competition that is how I look at all competition.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts