Week 4 Story: The Unburnt

 The Unburnt

This story is about a girl named Daenerys Targaryen. Her brother Viserys sent her away to marry Khal Drogo of the Dothraki. At first, she did not approve of her brother's arrangement for her future. Overtime however, she slowly but surely fell in love with him and so did he. They became each other's equal. On one unfortunate night, an unknown man with a mask entered their home and kidnapped Daenerys. She was taken away for ten days where she was hidden in the woods from her lover. The story begins with Khal Drogo rescuing his wife from the man who abducted her.

 When they finally reunited, he felt happy, relieved, but also uncomfortable; he was torn between his undying and consuming love for Daenerys and the scandal of her being in another man's house. "For the insult he [the man who abducted her] did me, I have killed him." Khal Drogo said. "I wish you well, and now you may go where you like." After hearing what her husband said, Daenerys was overwhelmed with emotions of anger. She was sobbing in hurt,"How can you have such little regard in womankind? I was overpowered and abducted, but i was forever faithful to you, and I will prove it." She then walked into a fire, praying to the god of fire "Demonstrate my faithfulness. Do not burn me." The fire grew in strength, and emerging from the flames was the god of fire in the form of a great dragon. He was carrying Daenerys Targaryen on his back. Returning Daenerys to Khal Drogo, the fire god explained to Khal Drogo that the woman who was taken away was not his wife, but instead a double of her. Before she was abducted, supernatural beings had taken her away in their protection and replaced her with a double. She was merely an illusion.


Author's Notes: This story was inspired by the short passage within Tiny Tales from the Ramayana called The Story of Maya-Sita and the characters in the tv series known as Game of Thrones. This retold story was written in the way the original was but incorporated different characters more suited to traits and characteristics of the tv plot. The fire god was still a part of the story but was a Dragon, and Rama and Sita were represented by Daenerys and Khal Drogo.

Bibliography: Tiny Tales from the Ramayana Part D by Laura Gibbs

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kaelan,

    I have actually watched GOT, so I really enjoyed the subtle hints you had that was a part of the show! It also made a lot of sense with this story in particular (even though I read the book version of this story). One question I had was why was Daenerys a copy? In the book version, Sita is just brought back purified by the fire god, as she had actually been physically taken away. Was the short passage from the Tiny Tales like this or did you add a twist? Also, what if you had added more details about the great dragon? I think really getting into what the dragon looked like and how Khal Drogo reacted would have been really cool and added a lot of visualization of the story! Overall, I think you captured the heart of the story perfectly while adding the persona of GOT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kaelan. First of all, I would like to say I am a huge Game of Thrones fan and this spin was awesome! I really like how you used Khal Drogo and Daenerys and mimic the story on Rama and Sita. The interesting part is that those are two characters that are not the first pick for this story, but they actually fit really well. I really like how you made out Khal to almost be a loving Husband and polite, unlike the way he was in the show. I wonder why after coming out of the fire it wasn't actually Daenerys and just a double. Maybe going a little more into detail as to where the real Daenerys went and why she was replaced could've added some suspense to the story. What if no one had emerged from the fire...how do you think Khal Drogo would've reacted and what do you think he would've done?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kaelan,
    Game of thrones is one of my favorite television series and I'm glad to see someone incorporate some characters and themes from GOT into one their stories. I really like how the theme of the Story of Maya-Sita is synonymous with some themes of GOT. I think you did a really good job with the choice of characters as well as the way this story was written. I wonder why is it that you made Danaerys a double after being taken away? I was a little confused by this addition but what if you explained the story with the same kind of attitude Danaerys had towards the end of GOT. What if Danaerys emerged from the flames and had been appalled by Khal Drogos test of faithfulness? These were just some ideas that I had pondered while reading your story, but overall it was really a great read. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts