Reading Notes: Ramayana Part D

 Ramayana

Bibliography: Tiny Tales from the Ramayana Part D by Laura Gibbs


A part I found interesting to read was section 168. This part was called The Story of Maya-Sita. When Vibishana brought Sita back to Rama, he felt uncomfortable. He was torn between love for Sita and the public scandal of her being in another man's house. "For the insult Ravana did me, I have killed him," Rama said. "The war is over. I wish you well, and now you may go where you like." After Rama said that, Sita was overwhelmed with emotions of anger. She was sobbing in hurt, "How can you have such little regard womankind? Ravana overpowered and abducted me, but I was forever faithful to you, and I will prove it" She proved it by walking into a fire, praying to the fire god Agni "Demonstrate my faithfulness...do not burn me." Agni then emerged from the fire carrying Sita in his arms. It is believed that the person who entered the fire was not Sita but Maya-Sita (a double of Sita). The devas took Sita from Ravana's chariot when he wasn't looking and replaced her with Maya-Sita. She was merely an illusion.

Comments

Popular Posts